Connecting People and Trees
Trees SC was founded in 1991 as a non-profit organization to foster the stewardship of South Carolina’s urban and community forests through education, advocacy and networking.
Urban and community forests include all the trees in your community: tree-lined roads, parks, neighborhoods, and commercial building sites. Taking care of the trees in these areas benefits the environmental, social and economic well-being of your community.
- To extend the collective knowledge and awareness of the value, management and wise use of trees
- To facilitate information exchange concerning the management of urban and community forests
- To encourage citizens to take an active interest in the care and management of urban and community forests
Programs and Activities
- EDUCATION: Each year, Trees SC sponsors its annual conference that features national speakers on a variety of topics pertinent to urban forestry. We also conduct numerous educational workshops and seminars, including the South Carolina Arborist Workshop and our community-based educational sessions.
- AWARDS: We recognize individuals and organizations that make outstanding contributions to urban forestry in our state through the Golden Acorn Awards, and our Heritage Tree Award recognizes a special community tree or group of trees that have historical or cultural significance.
- NEWSLETTER: The Acorn, our quarterly e-newsletter, informs readers and decision makers about the work Trees SC and our local communities are doing to protect our state’s trees. If you have an idea for a new program, please contact our office.
Trees SC has an active board that works to further our mission and provide educational opportunities to professionals and communities throughout our state. Board members represent all regions of South Carolina and various professions in urban forestry, including arborists, foresters, planners, horticulturists, landscapers, professors, nonprofit managers and concerned citizens. Board members serve a three-year term and are elected from our membership.
Join Trees SC
Help us spread the message of the importance of trees, celebrate our special trees in South Carolina, and be an advocate for urban and community forests. Membership is open to anyone concerned with the protection of our state’s trees.