Heritage Tree Award
The Trees SC Heritage Trees program was developed in 2004 as a way to identify, celebrate, and recognize those remarkable trees that evoke great community spirit in South Carolina.
Nominees can be trees with special historical or cultural significance or, simply, a tree that is of special significance to the community. All trees nominated must be located in South Carolina either on public property or on private property which is easily accessible free of charge. Trees may be nominated for their historical, cultural or other special significance to the community.
Don’t miss the opportunity to nominate your favorite community tree or trees! Nominations are due August 13, 2014.
The Heritage Award identifies, celebrates and recognizes remarkable trees in South Carolina. Trees may be nominated as an individual or as a group, and are recognized by virtue of its age, its association with a historic structure or district, its association with a noted person or historic event, or its overall significance to the community that may or may not be historical. All nominations must be made with the land proprietor’s permission. Heritage Tree finalists will be asked to submit proof of public land ownership (property plat) prior to award announcement.
All trees nominated must be located in South Carolina either on public property or on private property which is easily accessible free of charge. Since Trees SC is a non-profit organization and not a legislative arm of the state, the Heritage Trees Program has no legal authority over nominations or protection of named Heritage Trees. Legal protection by the land proprietor for the trees is voluntary and optional. Trees SC feels that the formal recognition and educational value of the plaques and listings may encourage future conservation of trees.
The recipient of the Heritage Tree Award will receive a bronze plaque to be displayed nearby the honored tree(s). Trees SC would like to thank Bartlett Tree Experts for sponsoring the Heritage Tree Award.
Heritage Tree Award Guidelines
Nominations will be judged on the following criteria. Total possible points: 100
- Tree(s)’ historical or cultural significance to the local community or state of South Carolina (40 points)
- Demonstrated community value/appreciation of tree(s) (30 points)
- Description of the tree(s)’ maintenance plan (30 points)
- 2004 Heritage Tree - Charleston's Angel Oak
- 2006 Heritage Tree - Aiken's Oak Allee'
- 2007 Heritage Tree - McClellanville’s Deerhead Oak
- 2008 Heritage Tree - Irmo's White Oak
- 2009 Heritage Tree - Clemson Centennial Bur Oak
- 2010 Heritage Tree - Winthrop's Southern Magnolia
- 2011 Heritage Tree - Trinity's Live Oaks
- 2012 Heritage Tree - Redcliffe's Magnolia Allee, Eastern Avenue
- 2013 Heritage Tree - Cherry Hill Plantation Live Oak