2016 Annual Report
Mission Statement: Trees SC is a non-profit organization that fosters the stewardship of our state’s urban and community forests through education, advocacy, and network.
Executive Committee Officers:
President – Drew Smith Vice President – Brad Farmer
Treasurer – Mike Russell Secretary – Rachel d’Entremont
Advisor – Lowe Sharpe
Board of Directors – Clark Beavans, Danny Burbage, Whitt Cline, Matt Clinton, Lois Edwards, Amanda Flake, Tim Gillette, Danny Jones, Tom Knowles, Luther Marchant, Scott Park, Derrick Phinney, Mike Russell, Terry Smith, Carroll Williamson, Eddie Bernard (ex-officio), Donna Foster (ex-officio), Bob Polomski (ex-officio)
Executive Director– Karen Hauck
Membership – 385 members: 89 Corporate, 123 Governmental, 164 Individuals, 9 Non-Profit
- Published and electronically distributed 4 issues of The Acorn, Volume 26 (spring, summer, fall and winter)
- Hosted the South Carolina Arborist Workshop: Insects and Disease on March 3, 2016. The workshop had 90 people in attendance, and was sponsored by Bartlett Tree Experts, Carolina Tree Care, CSX, Duke Energy, Lewis Tree Service, SCE&G, Schneider Tree Care, Sox & Freeman, and the S.C. Forestry Commission.
- Hosted the South Carolina Arborist Workshop for practicing arborists. The workshop, which was held on September 15, 2016 at Harbison State Forest, had 80 people in attendance and was sponsored by Bartlett Tree Experts, Carolina Tree Care, CSX, Duke Energy, Lewis Tree Service, SCE&G, Schneider Tree Care, Sox & Freeman, and the S.C. Forestry Commission.
- Partnered with ISA Southern Chapter to host the South Carolina Tree Climbing Academy in Irmo on May 23, 2016. Ten climbers attended the workshop, led by instructors from North American Training Solutions.
- Hosted a Canopy Session in Hartsville, SC on May 5, 2016. The program presented information on site preparation, nursery stock, proper pruning techniques, and an overview of Tree City USA. Twenty-six people attended the program.
- Hosted the workshop Designing Infrastructure for Urban Tree Sustainability on June 21, 2016 in Columbia. Forty-two people attended the program.
- In partnership with TreesGreenville, launched Tree Keepers, a community-based program designed to educate community members about the value of trees and proper tree care. Eleven people participated in the 6-week course.
- Hosted the Annual Conference at Folly Beach, SC on October 27-28, 2016. Major conference sponsors included Bartlett Tree Experts, Carolina Tree Care, CSX, Duke Energy, Lewis Tree Service, SCE&G, Schneider Tree Care, Sox & Freeman, and the S.C. Forestry Commission.
- Celebrated Trees SC’s 25th anniversary with special celebrations held throughout the state: Columbia, Clemson University, Moore Farms Botanical Garden, and the Angel Oak.
Number of individuals reached through education programs: 1,553
Number of communities reached through education programs: 71
Number of South Carolina counties served: 35
- Presented the 2016 Heritage Tree Award to the Augusta Circle Elementary American Elm (Greenville)
- Awarded the 2016 Golden Acorn Award to Nate Dubosh (MUSC)
FINANCES AND OPERATIONS
- Contracted with KBH Solutions, LLC to provide executive director services
- Developed and administered a fiscally responsible budget for the organization
- Contracted with the accounting firm Burkett, Burkett & Burkett in Rock Hill, South Carolina to file the organization’s IRS Form 990
- Applied for and received a 2016 grant from the S.C. Forestry Commission
- Provided financial assistance for individuals to attend the 2016 Trees SC Annual Conference
- 2016 Corporate Sponsors:
SUSTAINING PARTNERS: Bartlett Tree Experts, Carolina Tree Care, CSX, Duke Energy, and Schneider Tree Care
PLATINUM LEVEL: Lewis Tree Service and Sox & Freeman
Annual Members Meeting: – The last members’ meeting was held on October 27, 2016 at Folly Beach, SC.
Board of Directors Meetings:
February 4, 2016 – Wampee, S.C.
February 4-5, 2016 Annual Retreat – Wampee, S.C.
April 21, 2016 – S.C. Forestry Commission Headquarters
July 21, 2016 – S.C. Forestry Commission Headquarters
October 26, 2016- Folly Beach, SC